A Spot Light on God's Presence
I can easily get so caught up in the events of the day that I don't even notice the presence of God. The examen is a simple prayer of listening which shines a spot light on God’s grace in the midst of our daily lives. The examen consists of five prayerful movements:
1. We begin by offering God our thanksgiving for gifts received.
Lord thank you for all your gifts and especially for ____________________
2. We continue by asking for light to understand and appreciate the graces of the day and openness to receive what may lie in darkness.
May the light of your Holy Spirit guide me as I look upon this day. Help me to remember the ways in which I knew you were near me and help me to see the times that I was unaware of your presence.
3. Then we ask for God’s guidance and grace as we reflect on the events of day.
I was conscious of your presence when ___________________
When I ________________________ I prevented myself from recognizing you with me.
4. Now we turn to relationships, where do we need God’s grace to extend or seek forgiveness and reconciliation?
My relationship with ________________ is damaged, Lord. By your grace, show me how to extend and receive forgiveness, peace, and reconciliation.
5. We conclude with a hopeful resolution for the future.
Now may I walk aware of your presence the rest of this day especially as I ________________________
There are a number of other variations on the daily examen, and there’s even an app for that (search “Reimagining the Examen” in your App Store).